Here’s how to buy a vehicle in Guatemala:
1. Find the vehicle you want.
First do your research to get a feel for what you need and what is quality.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Am I going to be in the mountains, the city, or where?
- Do I need a truck, 4×4, van, car, etc.
- How many people will I need to carry?
Here are some good resources to check or keep in mind:
- Key words:
- Rodado = brought down from the U.S. (often had some sort of accident)
- Agencia = made in or for Guatemala (often has speedometer in kilometers) (often valued higher than Rodado)
- Tramitador = a person who helps with paperwork for various legal ranglings
- Taller de mechanica = a mechanic shop
- Frenos = brakes
- Llantas = tires
- Aciete = oil
- Oxido = rust